8 Reasons To Holiday In The UK!
Four years ago my husband and I took our three young sons on holiday to Spain. It was a complete and utter disaster including my then three year old falling off a harbour wall into the sea, my then four year old getting very ill and even our apartment being burgled whilst we were at the pool. We vowed never again to go abroad with young children and to explore the wonders of our very own beautiful country instead. Here are my eight reasons to forget going abroad and enjoy a holiday in the UK, just like we did last week at Fox Valley Cottages in Costa del Cornwall!
1. You don’t need a passport! Let’s face it, passports are not cheap and when you need passports for every member of a large family this cost very quickly adds up. Add into the mix the fact that a childs passport needs renewing every five years and that’s a whole lot of money you are paying out before you have even booked your flights!
2. You can drive to your destination! Forget trying to pack everything but the kitchen sink into a few suitcases. Stick a roof box on your car and you are away! Maximum stress levels are well and truly avoided!
3. You don’t need to hire a car! Hiring a car is never simple! You always have hidden costs. You will always have the constant worry that you will have a prang whilst driving it and so lose a hefty deposit! And you will have to very quickly get used to the steering wheel being on the left as you are launched out of the airport straight into a busy intersection!
4. You can take your dog with you! Getting a dog sitter or paying for kennels can massively increase your holiday bill, not to mention your dog getting the hump with you when you return. We loved having our cocker spaniel puppy on holiday with us this year and wouldn’t have it any other way!
5. You don’t need to fly! Yes it is exciting for young children to go on a plane but for us parents of those children, it is very, very stressful! Especially if you are the type of parent like me who stresses about how exactly she will save all of her children if the plane crashes! #anxiety !!!!
6. It is less of a worry if your kids get sick! When one of my sons fell ill in Spain, his temperature rocketed sky high. I had to drive for over an hour and try three different chemists before finding some basic paracetemol. The thought of one of my children getting sick abroad fills me with such panic now and holidaying in the UK greatly takes away this stress factor.
7. It costs less money! Take away the cost of flights and car hire and you have saved yourself a lot of pennies!
8. Our country is actually very beautiful! When you take the time to explore the UK, you realise that there is much beauty right on your doorstep. Be it lakes, mountains or the seaside. For me personally I love the little hidden away coves in Cornwall.
Last week, we stayed in Fox Valley Cottages in Cornwall for the third time in as many years. We thought that we would be adventurous and try somewhere else this year but no matter how hard we looked we just couldn’t find anywhere that matched up to this hidden away treasure that we have been lucky enough to discover. We stayed in the beautiful Foxes Den which is one of eleven self catering holiday cottages and apartments. They are all equipped to a very high standard making them feel lovely and homely.
Imagine being surrounded by rolling hills, and waking to the sound of nature rather than the rumble of cars along a road. There is such tranquillity about this beautiful setting that even with my four rambunctious boys charging around it still maintains an air of peacefulness and serenity. It is perfect for my boys as they can literally run around the lovely gardens and use the play equipment and trampoline until their hearts are content and have that little bit of freedom we can’t give them at home.
They absolutely loved stroking the guinea pigs and rabbits that live there too! There is even a games room equipped with table football, pool, air hockey and table tennis as well as toys for the little ones. My little two year old took a shine to a baby carrier in which he carried around two babies calling them ‘his girls’ in his best Essex boy accent! But the icing on the cake has to be the indoor pool, sauna and jacuzzi! We spent a couple of hours in the pool every morning and even went back in the evening some days.
The boys also loved to kick back in the jacuzzi like they were super rich play boys instead of the cheeky little boys they really are!
Fox Valley Cottages is just a few miles away from the gorgeous little fishing villages of Looe and Polperro where the boys loved taking a boat ride and eating fish and chips and ice creams. They loved spending their holiday money here on traditional sweet shop sweets and some funky air brush tattoos.
Another highlight of the holiday was my eldest two finding a passion for karting as they raced round the track after their Dad. My fearless seven year old also jumped off a cliff on the UK’s biggest zip wire as I freaked out watching him soaring through the air over a huge lake.
I myself had attempted it the year before and embarrassed myself by having a complete melt down as my hook was attached and had to abort the mission – something my sons love to remind me of to this day!
Going on holiday with four young children is hard. You are still mum, you still have to take care of everyone and it often feels like you need another holiday to get over it! I can honestly say that I am sitting here writing this feeling well and truly refreshed after our little staycation. So what if we haven’t had two weeks in an all inclusive hotel in the Bahamas. We have had a lovely stress free holiday in the beauty of Cornwall and with four young boys I wouldn’t want it any other way!