Who Remembers TV When…….?
Last week my boys sat in absolute horror as our sky box malfunctioned and they were unable to pause their show to go to the toilet. They couldn’t rewind a part that they found funny. They couldn’t watch anything that had been previously recorded. To them it was the end of the world. To us it was TV as we knew it as kids!
Nowadays we sit and watch our 42 inch HD LED TV which (according to my husband!) is the only way to watch TV now with its crystal clear picture and booming surround sound. (You can find examples of some great Panasonic LED TV’s here!) It’s a far cry to the small fuzzy box we used to watch as kids. Watching TV is a whole new ball game now. Who remembers having just four channels to choose between? If you remember this then you will also relate to these things that would have your kids looking at you with blank faces if you mentioned them now!…………..
1. Television actually shutting down late at night. Instead of being able to watch a show, we were treated to a very annoying picture of a girl with a red alice band playing noughts and crosses with a scary looking clown! We were also subjected to this picture when TV channels regularly broke down mid show!
2. Every girl loved PJ and Duncan in Byker Grove! Ah, who are we kidding, we all still love them now, we just know them as Ant and Dec!
3. Grange Hill was a must watch for all school kids after school, despite your mum’s protests as to how raw it could be at times!
4. We all loved Zach and Screech from Saved by the Bell!
5. A Friday night wasn’t complete without Chris Evans joining you in your living room through TFI Friday!
6. You watched The Word and know there will never be another show quite like it! Something which you now know, is probably for the best!
7. You can still sing the theme tune to Fresh Prince Of Bel Air at the drop of a hat and know exactly what I mean when I say dance like Carlton Banks!
8. You can name the entire cast of Friends and can discuss in length whether Ross and Rachel were ‘on a break’!
9. You watched Only Fools And Horses with your Dad and ‘put a pony in your pocket!’
10. 6pm was always cartoon time………………until your dad came in and switched the news on instead!
So there you have it. No box sets , no fancy remote controller and no HD. I can safely say that as much as I have loved this trip down memory lane, I would certainly miss my fancy HD LED TV if I didn’t have it!